Wednesday, April 6, 2011

D.A.R.E Commencement

Thank you to Claude Nelson, Maryland State D.A.R.E. coordinator, Maryland D.A.R.E and the Immaculate Heart of Mary school in Parkville for inviting me to be today's keynote speaker for this year's commencement ceremony.

Congratulations to all students completing their curriculum and special award winners!

During the year, these students were provided tools on how to deal with peer pressure and make healthy decisions regarding drug use. No, I have never used drugs but the students found out that I did encounter something in my life that was just as destructive-- and that is eating disorders.

Not everyone has to face the physical barriers I did in their day to day lives, yet all too often we live with other, less obvious barriers that hold us back from finding and realizing our dreams like our inner thoughts and feelings.

The road to Miss Maryland began with me and my dream of winning the title. My message to them, D.A.R.E. to dream and don't let anyone, especially yourself, prevent you from getting what you want out of life!

Photos courtesy of IHM.
























No comments:

Post a Comment